Saturday, December 12, 2015

Third Sunday of Advent

A testimony for the third Sunday of Advent…

“And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him.”
(Luke 2:25  NAS)

I have lived most of my life waiting for the fulfillment of a promise; a promise from God.  The Holy Spirit spoke to me about something that has been ever present in my thoughts:  “I would live to see the coming of the Messiah!”
When I first heard the Spirit, I was so excited and thought, “Surely His arrival cannot be far off.”  Then the months turned to years, and I laughed to myself when I realized that I had a promise to inherit, just like Abraham!  And like Abraham, I waited, believing that what God said; He would do.  Then one day I awoke and realized that the Spirit was directing me to go to the temple.  I wondered if today would be the day that I would see the Messiah.   But I had come to rest in whatever the Spirit said to me, so whatever God had to tell or show me, I would be content.  I waited in the temple court and prayed, “God, here is your servant…” and then I saw the young couple walking into the courtyard.  And the Spirit spoke to me that the baby they were carrying was the Messiah!  What joy filled my heart, when I realized that God’s promise to me was being fulfilled!  I approached the couple and explained to them God’s promise to me and how their child was the hope of Israel.  I took the child in my arms and as I looked upon Him the Spirit came upon me and I began to prophesy:  “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.  For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.”  (Luke 2:29-32  NIV).  I handed the baby back to the astonished parents and blessed them and even prophesied to the mother as well.
I left the temple that day content in God’s promise being fulfilled.  Joy, praise, and thanksgiving fill my heart as I rejoice that the Word of God as spoken to the prophets is coming to pass.   God Himself has come to deliver His people and His Spirit is the seal that guarantees His promises (see Ephesians 1:13, 14)!
What are the promises that God has given you?  Their fulfillment is found in hope in Jesus and the Holy Spirit is the guarantee!  Be like Simeon and Abraham:  Don’t waiver in faith, but believe the One who has promised!

First published December 13, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment