Saturday, December 19, 2015

Fourth Sunday of Advent

A testimony for the fourth Sunday of Advent…

“I am the Lord’s servant, May it be to me as you have said.”
“Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!”  (Luke 1:38, 45  NIV)

After the angel Gabriel told me that I was going to bear the Son of the Most High who would sit on David’s throne, I decided to go and see Elizabeth.  Gabriel had said that she was to bear a child also.  This would also be a miracle, because Elizabeth was past the age of bearing children.  I wanted to tell her what the angel had said to me and find out how these things were coming to pass in her own life as well.  When I entered her house she began to prophesy:  “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!”  It seemed that at every turn, God was confirming His word to me.  At first Joseph, after I told him I was pregnant, wanted to break off the engagement, but an angel spoke to him that this child was of God and to not be afraid.  Then the Romans ordered us to Bethlehem to be part of the census.  It couldn’t have been at a worse time as the baby was due at any time, but this, too, was part of God’s plan.  Shepherds came and worshipped Jesus in the stable where I had given birth.  They also spoke of angels that had told them about the Savior born to them, the Messiah, whom they would find in a manger.  Later, Magi from a far country arrived with gifts and a story of a star that had guided them.  And then an angel spoke again to Joseph and told us to go to Egypt as Herod wanted to kill Jesus.  At last we were able to return to Israel.  I thought upon these things for many years and wondered what they all meant; then Jesus, my son, the Son of God, began the work his Father had called him to.  The word of God, miracles, healings, all flowed from him like a river.  Men and women followed his teaching and bowed to him in worship.  I realized that God’s plan was unfolding.  But then, all too soon, it seemed that it was all coming to an end.  Just as Simeon had prophesied, “And a sword will pierce your own soul too”,  I watched as they crucified my son and my heart broke.  But Jesus’ Father had a different plan.  Three days later, God raised His Son back to life and after a season He ascended back to His Father to rule and reign.  You see, Jesus was my son, but He was also my Lord and Savior.  I worship Him as God, because I know that He is God’s only Son, and I have put my trust in Him.  Have you made Jesus your Lord and Savior?  Why not put your trust in Him in this season of honoring His birth and experience your own “new birth”?  (see John 3:1-21)

First Published December 20, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment